Sometimes I look at my work schedule and think I really really need a break, to see girlfriends and laugh and see some culture outside of my own area: New England-fare, museums, restaurants, concerts, country coffee shops, that sort of thing.
I drove simply two hours to the Berkshires in Massachusetts, I have to admit that I didn’t know it was this close to my home. I also drove to another spot in New York, I’ll blog about that next week. Stay tuned.
What I remembered from my time away:
- Culture is not just in New York City.
- Taking a break from social media–Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook–for a few days won’t kill me.
- I still had my work projects when I returned home and my clients still liked me even though I had boundaries.
- Going off technology for a week is on my list to do in September.
- Sometimes seeing a girlfriend is the best medicine.
- Like-minded friends can feed the soul.
- I rediscovered eating well, food co-ops and people that smile a lot.
- Coffee shop tea and coffee seems to taste better in the country.
- Driving in a car with no distractions — alone time — is the best.
I was looking so forward to seeing American Masters Rockwell & Hopper with my friend Elisa, currently at the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge MA. Here is a wonderful display of Norman Rockwell pieces on Pinterest.
I look all the time for something that suggests something to me. I think about it. Just to paint a representation or a design is not hard, but to express a thought in a painting is…I’ve never been able to paint what I set out to paint.” — Edward Hopper
A highlight of my 24 hours in the Berkshires was seeing my friend Suzi Banks Baum, artist, writer, teacher and mom. Now that I am writing and taking photographs for my own blog, being with uber-creatives like Suzi really lights me up. I had a chance to see her colorful work space, divine. We went to an estate sale, ate lunch at the healthiest spot imaginable in Great Barrington, and of course she took me to a spot to take photographs. Bliss.
When I first moved to New York City, I ventured north to the Red Lion Inn which is still adorable and very New Englandy. Stolling through town was such a joy.
All photos above are taken with my iPhone 5s.
Want more posts like this? Sign up to get them delivered to your inbox.
If you like what you read, please share using the buttons below. Thank you!